Monday, October 28, 2013

The end of Sports! World Series Game 4, 2013, Cheating,Creativity, and Probablity!

Being from St. Louis, playing baseball myself and growing up a Cardinal fan, I watched the World Series Game last night.  As I was watching the game I had a couple realizations.  Now please keep in mind I do not associate my self in anyway with how my geographic location is represented by my cities sports teams.   I have ZERO to do with the teams outcome or performance therefore it has nothing to do with me. This can apply to an infinite number of things.
I realized this is a colossal waste of time. I say this because it completely takes a way from any and all creativity that one can have in the present!  
  • The start of every game and the ever changing environment of the game is completely controlled by the Umpire behind the plate.  It is manipulated by the strike zone he is enforcing at any given time.  Who questions him?  That would would be fine if the strike zone did not change throughout the game and did not change based on who is as bat. So watching the game last night I began to notice that when critical situations were occurring or when arguably the best hitter on either team, David Ortiz, was at bat the strike zone became very small.  This gives the pitcher little chance at making an out unless the hitter hits into it. The Pitcher Lance Linn was throwing unhittbale strikes, that were being called balls.  Why is that?  Is it because he adds excitement to the game?  So by giving this professional hitter the ability to hit pitches that are more hittable you are increasing the odds and the excitement of the game by potentially increasing the runs score and potentially extending the series to more games.
  • This leads me to the fact and mean FACT, that the longer the World Series last the better (more financial rewarding) it is for Baseball and the economies of the cities that are involved.  So it would be in their best interest to make the World Series last as long as possible.
  • Now that is not saying the fix is in!  But by giving professional hitters the ability to hit the ball, (and that is up to them to hit the ball in play.) What I'm saying is that they keep the competition close by.
  • I'm not saying that any umpire cares who wins the game.  I'm saying its his job to keep the game winnable by the team that that can prolong the series.  At least the umpire that was behind the plate last night.
  • The umpire basically controls probability.  How long has that been in job?
That's why I think it is colossal waste of time to watch a game where probability is changed depending on the desired outcome of the GAME. 

It also takes your mind away from any and nearly all creative thoughts because you are basing your experiences on someone else's actions.  You are reacting to the multitude of outcomes each game presents.  Not fulfilling one of life's greatest gifts of CREATIVITY!  It is a great way of living vicariously.  

No comments:

Post a Comment